Friday, November 7, 2008

Holy Election!






Can you even believe it? I keep wanting to pinch myself (I wish it wouldn't hurt or leave a mark). I am still trying to catch up on sleep.




After playing hostess to over 30 on Election Night, my body was exhausted, but I didn't want to fall asleep for fear that I was dreaming and would awake to a nightmare, or lawsuits or something even worse. My normally cheesy smiles in posed pictures were huge and I was just thrilled to be an American and thrilled to host a party that so many of my friends were able to attend.

Every generation has one of those events. I was getting to the point that it sadly may have been September 11th for mine (I mean I remember even what I was wearing in Mr. Liddy's third block Econ class). But for it to be a day of hope and excitement and something that I just didn't want to end was fantastic and something that will not leave my mind.

We had a full election night themed menu. My little fundraiser was a fantastic sous chef and really helped out as I am a girl with big ideas but not much talent in terms of cooking. Here was our menu:



Primaries
Vegetables and Dip….for our Green Party Friends
Pit bulls and Lipstick (mini hotdogs and ketchup)…..cause who doesn’t love hockey moms?
Taco Maco Southwest Dip….for John McCain’s Arizona roots

Election night
Sloppy Joes (vegetarian)...for our sometimes reckless but nonetheless charming Democratic VP Candidate Joe Biden
Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza….for Barack Obama’s Chicago roots

The Results
Chocolate Moose….for our favorite moose-hunting VP Candidate Sarah Palin
Red, White and Blue Berry Cake Extravaganza….cause we’re all more patriotic when eating dessert
Donkey Tails and Elephant Tail Cookies….cause I have to at least pretend to be bipartisan

Acceptance Speech
Blueberry and Cranberry Soda
Red wine, White wine, Blue Moon Beer
Obama Slama (blueberry soda and blueberry vodka)
McCain Coffee (coffee with Baileys and a candy cane)



Champagne to Celebrate!


For me, it was unbelievable for many reasons, besides of course the obvious historical significance. For one, a night that is normally so important to me (this was my second biannual party), it was so nice to celebrate with so many friends. And so many different friends. Friends you wouldn't normally expect to care, did in this election. Some might have said we cared too much. I beg to differ. Also, like it was no big deal at all, my friends and I started counting down until 11 PM when it would become official. It was the happiest new year celebration I can remember. And no one threw up or got in a fight.

So I know we are all saying it, and it is cliched and the whole kit and caboodle, but I am not only proud to be an American, but proud to have the friends I have and be part of a generation that changed history.



No comments: